Monday, April 6, 2009

What's for Dinner?

I don't know about you, but my kids leave the house asking What's for dinner? I hear it again when they come home. What's for dinner? Do you find it hard to make everybody in your family happy? How many different meals are you preparing? My children got used to a buffet of choices because I would make 3 choices for 5 people, thinking each would eat what they liked, but they would usually end up trying most of it (except for my daughter- who is not a big taster.) My shopping list would be massive trying to get all the ingredients for the different dishes. This one meal was taking so much time each day for shopping and preparing it. As much as I LOVE COOKING, and I do! The process could be stressful. It took me a while but I finally got smart.

When I went back to school to study food quality, diet and nutrition, I learned that it takes humans between 5 and 8 times of tasting a food, for us to like it. Most people say they don't like a food when they have tasted it once. Of course they don't like it, because it is out of their comfort zone. Think about the first times you gave your babies food. They would scrunch up their face at something new. We are the same because of how our taste buds work. Give you and your family the gift of new foods and experiences by repeating it until they begin to change their opinions. It works!!! I did not eat any fish except tunafish salad, Nova and shrimp for 36 years because I thought I didn't like it. Now I love Wild Salmon, and other fish(I stay away from high mercury fish). I began by tasting fish other people would order and one day I began ordering my own Salmon. I knew I could not recommend it to my clients if I was unwilling to eat it. The same goes for your children. If you are eating junky, processed foods- then guess what, so are they. If you would serve more vegetables (raw or cooked), fruits and baked, broiled and roasted meats/fish AND PUT MORE OF IT ON YOUR PLATE..they will eventually EAT HEALTHIER TOO. Let's face it, most people become mini versions of their role models. Children raised on whole grains, fruit (for treats), veggies and organic proteins and dairy, still eat this way. They understand how good that food tastes because their taste buds did not get corrupted and addicted to sugars and refined carbohydrates and chemicals.

When you clean out your body and begin to eat healthy for at least a month, you realize the SAD (Standard American Diet) stinks and doesn't even taste fresh. Think about it, if a loaf of bread ( is meant to stay fresh only a few days), yet stays in the bag for weeks without mold, their must be some nasty chemicals keeping it looking fresh. Those same chemicals are hanging around in your liver, and lining your intestines.

Did you know that most people rotate 8 veggies, 8 favorite dishes and 8 exercises their entire lives. There are actually more than 300 veggies in the world and over 25 sources of protein out there.

To reduce my stressful shopping and dinnertime issues, I bought lots of cookbooks and cooking magazines and make new foods all the time. If they don't like the main dish- the eat more salad and vegetables to fill up. It has worked and I am proud to say that my family will now taste just about anything there is. We are all much happier people, and I am thriled knowing that their bodies and brains are getting the best fuel possible.

Tip: Remember your food is your lifeline. The nutrients in the foods you choose to eat are what grow your bone cells, replace your blood, and cells and nourish your brain. The more colorful and natural the food is- the better it is for you. The less chemicals you consume- THE LESS STRESSED YOU AND YOUR BODY WILL BE. Do it for you and your loved ones.

Remember to check in with your Stress-O MOM-oter to see how your decisions are affecting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment